Project CAS 022
"Assessment and mitigation of seasonal poverty in vulnerable households in Kyrgyzstan and Tajikistan.
This project is implemented by two partner organizations ASTI and HAI since January 2010.
Duration of the project is 16 months.
The aim of the project is to conduct study in 4-jamoats of Asht district: Shaydon, Kamyshkurgan, Oshoba, Kirkkuduk.
- To assess the annual cycle of poverty and reduce of feeding in 4 target jamoats of Asht region.
- To develop recommendations for development of schemes of social protection and strengthen the stability of vulnerable households to seasonal poverty.
Key objectives of the study:
- Identify seasonal causes and dynamics of poverty
- Monitoring the elements of seasonal poverty, such as extreme cold, lack of fuel, food security, migration of household members
- Assess the impact of seasonal poverty to the strategies on stability of households
- Assess regional and local feature of seasonal poverty
The study will be conducted within 12 months by the members of the Groups of Elderly People (GEP). GEP will collect information on indicators of poverty in 10 rural households in each target community, which will include to a total 40 households.
Tools based on joint participation and "Monitoring by Elderly People" approaches with which most members of GEP are familiar are used in the study.
The selection of respondents for the study
The study includes interviews and group discussions with community leaders, heads of local government and members of local communities. The main respondents are members of communities that are identified as particularly vulnerable to seasonal poverty.
In many rural communities it is extremely difficult to identify the poorest people, because most households are poor. Lack of employment opportunities, poor transport, lack of electricity and pure water affects all members of the community. However, factors such as age and sex of heads of households, number of dependents of the household may increase their vulnerability. Elder and young people are disproportionately affected by the seasonal poverty.
Heads of households are included as a respondents in the communities, women, elderly people (old age pensioners), as well as people dependent on social benefits, such as the disabled. Households, in which there are elderly people and children without adults of working age, are most vulnerable. All respondents are willing and able to discuss the economic situation of their families and actions to life support.
A checklist of criteria for selection
All respondents in the community are heads of households and willing to discuss the economic situation of their families and to actions to life support.
- older people - heads of households - male and female
- female, heads of households
- heads of households, who have no middle generation (elderly people and children).
Currently, monitoring is conducted in 40 selected families in 4 target jamoats. 5 stages of monitoring have already held. All data are processed and entered into a database by specialist.